Edit Order can be used to create pre-orders for products that are not yet available for fulfillment. This article will show you how.
Generate pre-orders through the Shopify Admin
- Create a new order with the pre-order item, and leave the item unfulfilled
- Once the product comes in, open the order and select Send Payment Request from the More actions dropdown menu
- Once the payment is received from your customer, fulfill the order
Pre-order through the front-end of your store
- Create a custom payment gateway called "Pre-Order"
- Instruct your customers through the product listing to select the "Pre-Order" payment gateway upon checking out (only necessary if you are not collecting a deposit)
- Send a payment request for the order once the product is ready for fulfillment
- When the payment is received, fulfill the order
We also highly recommend getting in touch with us before setting up pre-orders so that we can make sure you're set up for success: email@example.com
Use product variants to accept deposits
- Create a variant of the pre-order product with the price set to the desired deposit amount
- Generate the preorder through the Shopify admin, and/or list the deposit variant on the front end of your store
Collect the rest of the cost
- Open the order(s) and click Edit Order from the More actions drop-down menu
- Remove the pre-order deposit variant from the order
- Replace it with the regular product variant at full-price
- Click Save and then click Send Payment Request
- Once your order is marked as paid, fulfill the order.
Questions? We’d love to hear from you! Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org