Payment Requests Update 2020
This article refers to an update that is only available to select merchants as of October 21, 2020. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
Use Payment Requests to collect payment from your customers. Payment Requests can be used when you edit an order to increase the price or when creating new orders.
When you send a payment request to your customer, they'll receive the invoice within minutes and are then able to pay directly through your online store. Once paid, Edit Order takes care of keeping track of the transactions, updating the edited order, and marking it as paid automatically.
What's new in this update
In the original version of Edit Order's Payment Request, Edit Order used Shopify's Draft Orders invoicing under the hood in order to facilitate accepting payments. Because of limitations in Shopify's platform at the time, any new charge transactions in Shopify also required a new order to be generated, resulting in what Edit Order termed an "adjustment order". This original process is shown below:
In this new update to Edit Order's Payment Requests, we have completely removed the requirement to create an adjustment order. Now, when a payment request is sent for any order created with Edit Order, your customer can pay directly through your online store's checkout and the transaction will be attributed directly to the order. No more adjustment orders. The updated process is shown below:
How to use the Payment Requests Update
- Sending a payment request. No changes. You can continue sending payment requests as you have done before. Sending a payment request is supported when creating new orders or editing orders with Edit Order that result in a balance due.
- Payment Request email template. Edit Order now has a new payment request email template that you can customize for your needs. This email template is used for payment requests sent for new orders and edited orders.
Payment Request Email Template
A new email template specifically for payment requests is has been added to Edit Order. This template is used for payment requests sent for both new orders and edited orders. Template includes key new data for the payment request including:
- The updated line items in the order
- The amount that has already been paid
- The outstanding amount to be paid
- A Pay Now link that customers can use to pay the payment request
Customizing the email template
The Payment Request Email template can be customized using standard liquid tags in Edit Order's Email Template settings section. Please see Editing an email notification template for more information.
Please note: While all standard liquid tags are supported, not all Shopify specific liquid tags are supported. For example, Shopify does not make any of the following tags available to Edit Order's liquid templates processing:
- and others...
Please contact email@example.com if you would like assistance with customizing your email templates.